The following information was provided by Margie Morris (Thibert)
This is from the first yearbook , "Les Verdunois," published at Verdun American Elementary School in 1955. (In September of that year, the 9th grade was added; anyone in grades higher than 9th went to Kaiserslautern for high school:
In 1950 the building presently used as the dispensary was designated as the first Verdun American School. That year ended with only 32 pupils on the roll.
The school was moved for the 1951-52 semesters to building 107 onto which had been added two rooms. By 1952-53 the enrollment had increased so that all rooms were used and an additional prefab had to be constructed. Three teachers and a teacher-principal instructed 150 students.
1953-54 could be called the year of the deluge. The school opened with 5 teachers, 1 teaching principal, and 210 students. By June there were 320 students and a staff of 13.
1955. Our school now has 7 buildings. We have 15 American teachers and 2 French teachers. Our enrollment has reached 420. The principal wasRichard Dershimer. The yearbook was dedicated to Katherine George, 8th grade teacher.